Explore Communities

  • Sherwood Park

    Sherwood Park

    With over 40 acres of lush greenery Sherwood Park attracts visitors to midtown for peaceful walks and a chance to getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city beyond. The park was purchased by the city of North Toronto…

  • South Annex

    South Annex

    HISTORY OF SOUTH ANNEX The South Annex neighbourhood was subdivided in the early 1850’s, on land formerly owned by the Jarvis, Crookshank and Denison families; all of whom played a prominent role in the history of Toronto. Advertisements promoting Villa…

  • South Hill

    South Hill

    HISTORY OF SOUTH HILL The South Hill neighbourhood is defined by the Avenue Road Hill. This historic land formation was the former shoreline of ancient Lake Iroquois whose chilly waters receded into present day Lake Ontario some 12,000 years ago at…

  • St. Lawrence

    St. Lawrence

    HISTORY OF THE ST. LAWRENCE AREA The land on which the St. Lawrence neighbourhood is built was originally part of the shoreline of Lake Ontario. Immediately to the north of here, above Front Street, was the Town of York, the…

  • Summerhill

    Summerhill

    HISTORY OF SUMMERHILL The Summerhill neighbourhood is named after ‘Summer Hill’ house, a magnificent Regency cottage built in 1842, by transportation baron Charles Thompson. Summer Hill stood on the crest of the hill where the houses on Summerhill Gardens are located…

  • Sunnylea

    Sunnylea

    HISTORY The history of the Sunnylea neighbourhood revolves around Alexander Thompson who purchased two hundreds acres of land in this area in 1803, after his discharge from the Kings Rangers. In 1907, the first Sunnylea School – a two room…

  • Swansea

    Swansea

    OVERVIEW Swansea Village is the only Toronto neighbourhood that has its own community run Town Hall. Swansea is also the only Toronto neighbourhood to have a lake, a river, and a pond as it’s natural boundaries. Swansea’s hilly terrain, winding…

  • Teddington Park

    Teddington Park

    HISTORY OF TEDDINGTON PARK Teddington Park formed the northern boundary of the City of Toronto in 1912. That same year, separate plans of subdivision were registered by two prominent Toronto businessman: Nicholas Garland and Robert Dack. These plans led to…

  • The Kingsway

    The Kingsway

    The Kingsway is a residential neighbourhood of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located in the former City of Etobicoke. It is bounded by Bloor Street to the south, Dundas Street to the north, the Mimico Creek to the west and…

  • Thornhill / Richmond Hill / Aurora

    Thornhill / Richmond Hill / Aurora

    Aurora is an affluent town in York Region, approximately 20 km north of the city of Toronto. It is partially situated on the Oak Ridges Moraine, and is a part of the Greater Toronto Area and Golden Horseshoe of Southern…

  • Todmorden Village

    Todmorden Village

    HISTORY OF TODMORDEN VILLAGE Todmorden Village grew up around a complex of mills and a brewery that operated near the banks of the Don River beginning in 1795. Many of Todmorden’s original families, including the Helliwells and Eastwoods came from Todmorden…

  • Toronto Waterfront

    Toronto Waterfront

    HISTORY OF WATERFRONT TORONTO Toronto’s waterfront was created from landfill in the early 1800’s. It quickly developed into a tangled web of industry that included shipping facilities, warehouses, railway tracks, grain silos, and factories, all dotting the shoreline. Unfortunately, these physical…

  • Toronto West

    Toronto West

    The official High Park area ends at Bloor for purely municipal reasons, but its topography—knolls and hills and vales—continues into High Park North. Most of the houses were built between the 1880s and 1920s, and though many are quite grand,…

  • Trinity Bellwoods

    Trinity Bellwoods

    Trinity–Bellwoods is an established inner city neighbourhood in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It has a large Portuguese (mostly originally from the Azores and Madeira islands) and Brazilian community, and many local Lusitanian-Canadian businesses are located along Dundas Street West, continuing west…

  • Wanless Park

    Wanless Park

    HISTORY OF WANLESS PARK In 1912, Toronto Suburbs Ltd., guided by George Kappele and D.F. Crowagen registered a plan of subdivision for the old Waverley farm at Mount Pleasant Road and Lawrence Avenue. The developers named this new subdivision Waverley…

  • Yorkville

    Yorkville

    HISTORY OF YORKVILLE Founded in 1830, the Village of Yorkville began as a residential suburb. The village grew enough to be connected by an omnibus service in 1849 to Toronto. By 1853, the population of the village had reached 1,000, the…

  • Leslieville

    Leslieville

    HISTORY OF LESLIEVILLE Leslieville began as a small village back in the 1850’s. The village grew up around the Toronto Nurseries owned by George Leslie and sons, after whom this neighbourhood is named. Most of Leslieville’s residents were either market…

  • Playter Estates

    Playter Estates

    HISTORY OF PLAYTER ESTATES Playter Estates is named after the Playter family who held the original land grants on both sides of the Don River near Bloor Street. Captain George Playter, the patriarch of the family, was an United Empire…

  • Riverdale

    Riverdale

    HISTORY OF RIVERDALE Riverdale was a small rural community until the Grand Trunk Railway began steaming through here in the 1850’s. The railway brought industry and employment opportunities to Riverdale. It also attracted a pool of labourers who built the first…

  • The Beaches

    The Beaches

    The Beaches (also known as “The Beach”) is a neighbourhood and popular tourist destination located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located on the east side of the “Old” City of Toronto. The original boundaries of the neighbourhood are from…