Explore Communities

  • Allenby

    Allenby

    HISTORY OF ALLENBY Allenby was first settled in the 1400’s by the Huron Tribe which had a village here until sometime in the early 1700’s. This village is described in Lyman B. Jackes Tales of North Toronto as “a well organized…Read More >>

  • Annex

    Annex

    HISTORY OF ANNEX The Annex was subdivided in the 1870’s and 1880’s. It immediately became one of Toronto’s elite neighbourhoods. The Annex’s first residents included the likes of Timothy Eaton, the patriarch of Eatons department store, and George Gooderham, president of…Read More >>

  • Bedford Park

    Bedford Park

    Bedford Park began as a farming hamlet centred around the crossroads of Yonge Street and Lawrence Avenue. This village was a popular stopover for farmers travelling to and from the markets in Toronto. It is likely that Bedford Park is…Read More >>

  • Bennington Heights

    Bennington Heights

    HISTORY OF BENNINGTON HEIGHTS The Bennington Heights neighbourhood is situated on a flat plain of land, on the crest of an escarpment which thousands of years ago had been part of the shoreline of ancient Lake Iroquois – the forerunner to…Read More >>

  • Bridle Path

    Bridle Path

    HISTORY OF BRIDLE PATH The Bridle Path could hardly have been envisioned by Alexander Milne, who settled on what is now Edwards Gardens in 1827. Milne operated woolen and saw mills on the banks of Wilket Creek until 1832 when…Read More >>

  • Cabbagetown

    Cabbagetown

    HISTORY OF CABBAGETOWN Cabbagetown’s history began in the 1840’s when thousands of Irish immigrants settled here after fleeing the potato famins in their homeland. These first Cabbagetown residents were very poor. To put food on the table they grew cabbages on…Read More >>

  • Caribou Park

    Caribou Park

    HISTORY OF CARIBOU PARK Caribou Park was formerly part of a farm owned by a pioneer named Thomas Snider who resided here from the 1830’s to the 1870’s. The Snider farm took in the entire present day neighbourhood and also included land…Read More >>

  • Casa Loma

    Casa Loma

    HISTORY OF CASA LOMA The sightlines and majestic beauty of the Avenue Road Hill have, over the years, inspired many of Toronto’s wealthiest citizens to build their homes here. The one home that stands out above all the others is…Read More >>

  • Chaplin Estates

    Chaplin Estates

    CHAPLIN ESTATES HISTORY The Chaplin Estates neighbourhood began with a plan of subdivision, registered by William John Chaplin and his son James D. Chaplin, in 1913. The Chaplin family had been landowners in this area dating back to 1860, when…Read More >>

  • Cedarvale

    Cedarvale

    HISTORY OF CEDARVALE Cedarvale’s residential development began in 1912 when Sir Henry Mill Pellatt, the builder of Toronto’s famous Casa Loma registered a plan of subdivision for the south end of this neighbourhood under the name “Cedar Vale”. Vale denoted…Read More >>

  • Cricket Club

    Cricket Club

    HISTORY OF CRICKET CLUB The Cricket Club area was originally settled by a Scotsman named Andrew McGlashan who settled here with his family in the early 1800’s. The McGlashan’s operated a tannery on the south-west corner of Yonge Street and…Read More >>

  • Davisville Village

    Davisville Village

    DAVISVILLE VILLAGE HISTORY Davisville Village is named after John Davis, who immigrated to Canada from Staffordshire, England in 1840. John Davis served as Davisville’s first postmaster and helped found the Davisville Public School. He also operated the Davis Pottery, which…Read More >>

  • Deer Park

    Deer Park

    HISTORY OF DEER PARK Deer Park used to be referred to by the First Nations people as “Mushquoteh”, which means a meadow or opening in the wood where deer come to feed. In 1837, the Heath family purchased forty acres…Read More >>

  • Downtown Toronto East

    Downtown Toronto East

    HISTORY OF DOWNTOWN EAST The Downtown was originally settled by some of early Toronto’s most prominent families. The street names in this neighbourhood are clues to its rich history. For instance Jarvis Street is named after the family of William…Read More >>

  • Downtown Toronto West

    Downtown Toronto West

    HISTORY OF DOWNTOWN WEST The west side of Toronto was originally an industrial centre. There had been a beginning of the future Entertainment mecca since the Royal Alexandra Theatre was in the District. In 1980, the west side was transformed…Read More >>

  • Forest Hill

    Forest Hill

    HISTORY OF FOREST HILL Forest Hill was incorporated as a village in 1923. It was named after the summer residence of John Wickson, built in 1860, at the junction of Eglinton Avenue and Old Forest Hill Road. The hill is…Read More >>

  • Governor’s Bridge

    Governor’s Bridge

    HISTORY OF GOVERNOR’S BRIDGE The Governors Bridge neighbourhood was subdivided in 1912 by William Douglas and Wallace Nesbitt. Douglas and Nesbitt were distinguished lawyers at the Toronto law firm of McCarthy, Osler and Company and both men were elected president…Read More >>

  • Hillcrest Village

    Hillcrest Village

    Hillcrest Village is a neighbourhood located in the district of North York at the northernmost tip of the city of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Hillcrest Village is considered by some to be part of the Don Valley Village, the neighbourhood directly…Read More >>

  • Hoggs Hollow

    Hoggs Hollow

    HISTORY OF HOGGS HOLLOW Hogg’s Hollow is named after James Hogg, a Scotsman from Lanarkshire, who settled here in 1824. Hogg operated a whisky distillery and a grist mill, and was considered the most successful of all the millers in…Read More >>

  • Humewood

    Humewood

    HISTORY OF HUMEWOOD The Humewood neighbourhood is named after “Humewood”, the country estate of William Hume Blake – a prominent lawyer and politician in early Toronto. Blake built Humewood in the 1850’s and named it after his ancestral home in…Read More >>