HISTORY OF TEDDINGTON PARK
Teddington Park formed the northern boundary of the City of Toronto in 1912. That same year, separate plans of subdivision were registered by two prominent Toronto businessman: Nicholas Garland and Robert Dack.
These plans led to the eventual building of homes in Teddington Park.
Teddington Park's development as a high-end residential district was inspired by the Rosedale Golf Club, which had moved from Rosedale to the Teddington Park area in 1909.
Teddington Park's older houses on Riverview Drive were originally given descriptive names such as 'Donnybrook', 'Silverwood', and 'Treetops'. These names were in lieu of municipal addresses, which were not issued until some time after the houses were built. Some of these houses still display their historical names.
The Teddington Park neighbourhood is one of the smallest and most exclusive districts in Toronto. Over the years many important and influential Torontonians have called this neighbourhood their home.
Teddington Park is conveniently located along the Yonge Street corridor however, it is remarkably quiet thanks to its natural boundaries which include the Rosedale Golf Club and the Riverview Drive Ravine.
HOMES IN TEDDINGTON PARK
Teddington Park's houses were built between 1910 and 1935. The signature street in the neighbourhood is Teddington Park Avenue, a wide tree-lined boulevard that contains large Tudor and Georgian style houses.
Riverview Drive is a winding, countryfied road, lined by majestic maple trees. The properties on Riverview Drive are especially large as many of these homes back onto the Riverview Drive Ravine.
SCHOOLS IN THE TEDDINGTON PARK AREA
(P) Bedford Park Jr., 81 Ranleigh Avenue, (416) 393-9424
(PH) Lawrence Park Collegiate Institute, 125 Chatsworth Drive, (416) 393-9500
(PR) Havergal College, 1451 Avenue Road, (416) 483-3519
(PR) Crescent School, 2365 Bayview Avenue, (416) 449-2556
(PR) Toronto French School, 296 Lawrence Avenue, E., (416) 484-6533
(CA) Blessed Sacrament, 24 Bedford Park Avenue, (416) 393-5226
(CA) Loretto Abbey, 101 Mason Blvd., (416) 393-5510
(P) Public School (PH) Public High School (PH) Public High School (PH) Public High School (PC) Private Catholic School (PJ) Private Jewish School (C) College (U) University
RECREATION IN TEDDINGTON PARK
The Bedford Park Community Centre, on Ranleigh Avenue, includes an indoor gymnasium and a swimming pool. Wanless Park has five tennis courts, a basketball court, a wading pool, a children's playground, and a baseball diamond.
Golf enthusiasts have the option of a private membership at the Rosedale Golf Club, or paying public fees at the nearby Don Valley Golf Course, off Yonge Street, and just north of York Mills.
The George Locke Public Library at Yonge and Lawrence offers neighbourhood residents a wide range of programming for children and adults.
TRANSPORTATION IN TEDDINGTON PARK
Bus lines on Yonge Street and Mount Pleasant Road connect passengers to the Lawrence station on the Yonge-University-Spadina subway line.
Motorists can travel directly downtown by way of either Yonge Street or Mount Pleasant Road. For commuters travelling out of the city by car, the Yonge Street on-ramp to Highway 401 is just minutes away.
PARKS AND GREENSPACES IN THE TEDDINGTON PARK AREA
Located in the Yonge and Lawrence neighbourhood, Wanless Park wading pool can be described as a community meeting spot. In addition to the Wading Pool, Wanless Park has several a baseball/softball diamond, a large play structure, and bathroom facilities. If travelling by car, you may find parking spots on the adjacent streets surrounding Wanless Park.
Edwards Gardens sits adjacent to the Toronto Botanical Garden. This former estate garden features perennials and roses on the uplands and wildflowers, rhododendrons and an extensive rockery in the valley. On the upper level of the valley there is also a lovely arboretum beside the children’s Teaching Garden.
York Mills Park is located west of Yonge Street on Mill Street,just south of York Mills Road. The Yonge 97 bus passes along the western boundary of the park and the York Mills subway station is only five minutes walk from the park. Information provided by the city of Toronto website.
Sunnybrook Farm was the 154-hectare country estate of Joseph Kilgour in the late 1800s. It is located north of Leaside and south of the Bridle Path areas of the city. After Kilgour's passing, his wife Alice donated Sunnybrook Farms to the city in 1928 to be used as a park. The Kilgour barns were preserved and currently serve as a public riding school. The Metropolitan Police stabled here up until their move down to the stables at Exhibition Place in 2005. The park is home to many bike trails, dog parks, and Sunnybrook Stables with the fields now used for sports and recreation.
These formal gardens are named after the famed composer Alexander Muir, the man who wrote the patriotic song 'The Maple Leaf Forever' in 1867. The maple leaf appears throughout the gardens in various decorative and natural forms. The multi-level Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens act as a gateway into the peaceful ravine system that features walking trails which are open year-round. Stroll among the herbs and flowers that bloom in Alexander Muir's magnificent setting, located along the Northern Ravines and Gardens Discovery Walk Route. Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens are a beautiful spot to spend a quite summer afternoon. The gardens are also the western gateway to a long trail that eventually leads to Sunnybrook Park. Walking trails open all year.
4.6-hectare park at Lawrence Avenue and Yonge Street that features a children's playground, three lighted outdoor tennis courts and two lawn bowling greens. The park is home to the Lawrence Park Tennis Club and the Lawrence Park Lawn Bowling and Croquet Club and is adjecnt to the Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens.
LIBRARIES IN THE TEDDINGTON PARK AREA